Nancy's Campaign News week 2

 Good Morning! 

I hope you are all enjoying a healthy and happy weekend.  It was a very busy and exhausting week with many Covid exposures and teachers out at school.  I'm so grateful that Tucson Unified has a mask mandate, but even with that, we are at an all time high with teacher and student absences.  Still, the students who are in school are resilient and they bring me hope every day.

In addition to teaching this week, I have attended the monthly LD9 meeting, an LD10 live Facebook meeting, an AEA Legislative Meeting and a brainstorming meeting among teachers to plan a course of action to get the word out and get parents involved with contacting their Legislators and getting the Aggregate Spending Limite waived.  This is the biggest threat to public education right now.  Our state's public schools will lose $1.2 Billion if it is not waived.  This is money that has already been budgeted to our schools.  In TUSD, it will mean a lost of $60 million, in Catalina Foothills it's a loss of $5 million, in Amphi a loss of $14 million, and so on.  This WILL mean cutting programs, losing teachers, no busses, and even school closures.  Here's link to look at your neighborhood district and what it means for them: 

https://right2safeschoolsaz.org



There are some scary bills up in the Legislature right now.  Some of the worst would allow guns on campus or at least in parking lots of schools.  This is unacceptable to me.  I will work for sensible gun laws in Arizona.  I have been accepted into the #DemandASeat Spring 2022 Cohort with Moms Demand Action.  I am excited to learn from the best when it comes to fight for sensible gun laws.  More information to come as we begin in February.

There are also bills that will make abortion illegal at 15 weeks unless medically necessary.  I vehemently oppose this bill.  Abortion is healthcare and all people who are pregnant should have access to that care.  

Here is a link to an Arizona Legislature Weekly Update distributed by Civic Engagement Beyond Voting.  It gives a detailed overview of the bills.  There is also information about the Request To Speak program and I highly recommend everyone sign up for that.  It is one way to have our voices heard from Tucson!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a10C0s303NvlMeFxG2Aao2-JG5LmUMKGeAVMWf57628/edit?emci=63056746-7881-ec11-94f6-c896650d4442&emdi=b721f918-d981-ec11-94f6-c896650d4442&ceid=8474963

Thank you for the postive feedback from my first newsletter!  I have made the newsletter into a blog so that you can access and share it  from my website:  NancyforAZ.com.  I appreciate hearing from you.  

I have an request for each of you.  Please help me get my signatures to be on the ballot.  If each of you would send this blog and the link to sign my petition to five friends, that would really help.  Here's the link:

https://go.azsos.gov/rmlg

If you are interested in canvassing your neighborhood, please let me know and I can get you a list of Democrats in your area, petitions, pens, clipboard, etc.

Have a wonderful and safe week ahead.  Happy Chinese New Year, Happy Black History Month and Happy February!!

Sincerely,

Nancy Gutierrez, candidate for Arizona State House LD 18 (previously LD9)

NancyforAZ.com

NancyforAZ@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Blog for NancyforAZ